Friday, April 8, 2011

CMYK

Instead of telling you how dreadfully busy I have been and how many all-nighters I've pulled this week, I thought I'd show you a bit of what I've been working on (finally!). I seem to live in the fibers studio lately, doing all sorts of crazy silkscreen projects. Our latest one was a color separation print (like printing the layers cyan, magenta, yellow, and black).

So I started with this original photo of Mia from last summer.



I separated it into the layers and started printing one at a time.  So they started to look like this.




The images are adjacent vertically, so as to mimic the filmstrip format and take this one fleeting moment and repeat it, experimenting with subtle color adjustments to see how they can manipulate the tone of a single frame.



It got to be a lot of long days. But luckily, good people were there working as well. (Good people who like good music, might I add.) Debbie & I even stopped dressing alike coincidentally! Which is probably for the best. Although, I do wish I had a sweater as marvelous as this one.


I pretty much made a big mess. Well, a contained mess. Notice the Teddy Grahams container. That holds my black pigment. Thank you, Grandma, for the care package that I was oh so excited to recycle.






I think my fingernails are still dyed rainbow. The pigment just doesn't want to leave.


I finished the last layers last night. All thats left is hemming, photographing, and animating the frames (we'll see where this goes). But for now, I need to finish packing and go to bed. Tomorrow I leave for a weekend in Detroit, where I get to spend time with a special 4 year old who has been nagging me all semester to come home and hug her. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading about some things I made today! Feel free to leave a comment here; I love hearing from you!

Love, Michaela