Saturday, January 29, 2011

Nothing Was Coherent

My latest animation, which I completed in December, is now on Vimeo (in HD!). It's rather different from my normal animating style. Typically, I try to have fairly consistent lighting, and a stable camera (as in, always always always using a tripod). I've never had a narration before. And I've never had things look so blurry. But I'm really pleased with it.


This animation (not video) is based on my relationship with the fictional character Sara Crewe (from A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett) while growing up. It addresses the source of much of my stress and relives my worst nightmare. Everything looks so urgent, but that's the way I remember it.

This was made with a new technique I have been experimenting with, in which I animated the camera frame by frame, having it come in and out of focus, rather than animating what was in front of it (with a few exceptions). I wanted the camera to breathe and move, and fight to remember things, in a way that we often do.

My beautiful friend Amanda, who makes wonderful paintings, was the actress in this, and also assisted in animating. I'm so glad she was able to do this, as I can't imagine it coming out better with anyone else.

The music was written and recorded by my very talented sister, Ciara Lynch (who has made some appearances in several of my other animations). She shares the same worst nightmare.

My dad is quitting smoking now. It's been 13 days and 15 hours since his last cigarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading about some things I made today! Feel free to leave a comment here; I love hearing from you!

Love, Michaela